Keeping your website up to date is an important part of any websites life cycle. In most cases the sites success will rely heavily on the amount of time and effort that goes into maintaining it and keeping content current.
Most people recognise the importance of maintaining their house or car. The same principle applies to websites – without regular care, your initial investment in development could go to waste.
Why is it so important to keep your site updated?
I’ve listed some key points below:
- The Google ranking of your site can be improved by keeping data up to date. Think of it this way − if you were Google who would you rank higher and prefer to show to your users, a site that has fresh, new, relevant content or a site with old/out of date content?
- Regularly adding new content keeps current and potential customers engaged, and encourages them to come back for more. This will boost traffic and increase repeat visitors to your site.
- Statistics available via most stats tracking packages (e.g. Google Analytics) as well as feedback from your customers provide great insights into how your site is used. Evolving your site based on this feedback helps you target key customers and cater for their needs specifically − after all, they’re the ones using the site!
- Search Engine Optimisation, or SEO, is a constantly evolving practice. Search engines like Google and Bing update how they rank websites and display results on a regular basis; as such your website should also evolve to ensure it meets updated guidelines for best practice set by these search engines. The end result being better rankings and online growth.
- As new technologies provide new and innovative ways to deliver content to your users,
Social results are also often being included in search engines, so it’s worth taking advantage of social technologies like Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
- Do frequent audits of your website to ensure links are working correctly, pages and images are functioning and simple things like spelling and grammar are correct. This will give your customers confidence when using your site.
So how often should you update your site?
This will vary from site to site, as a general rule of thumb at least once a month is a good idea. Generally the more frequently you update your site the better it will perform (provided you’re updating it with quality content).
Keeping your site updated on a regular basis can be an easy exercise via a Content Management System which allows you to update content on your site anytime. If you don’t have the time or if the updates require a development team to assist, a website and software development company like ours can help.
Not sure where to start?
Here are a few suggestions to help keep your website up to date and relevant:
- Start a blog like this! It’s a great way to add content to your site on a regular basis and connect with your users.
- Social Media plugins such as a Facebook Like button, Twitter button or Add This buttons allow your users to easily share your website with their network of friends and in turn can generate more traffic to your site.
- Image sliders are a great way to showcase key messages and promotions. Typically they appear on the homepage, and make great use of the available screen real estate.
- If you rely on customer contact through your site then adding a prominent call to action on each page is a simple but effective way to allow users to get in contact with you quickly and easily.
- Add a contact form to your site rather than just displaying an email address or phone number, not only will this help reduce any spam you receive to your email address but it also helps track lead information and conversion rates.
- If you’re not already using Google Analytics then this is a must have. It gives you access to statistical information about your site and allows you to make informed decisions on what areas of your site need improvement and therefore where you should focus your attention.
- Have something custom you want built, but not sure if it’s possible? Speak to a development company like ours that can provide guidance on what’s feasible, and what’s involved in implementing your next big idea.
Can we help?
If your site isn’t meeting your business objectives, if you’re unsure of its potential for success, or how it stacks up against your competitors, please feel free to give us a call.
We have extensive experience taking over existing websites and systems, and transforming them from mediocre time-wasters into powerful business tools that generate results.
Call us now on 02 9213 1300 or submit an enquiry online – we’d be happy to provide an obligation free initial consultation.